8/27/07

Foods I eat to lower my blood pressure

Hey all-

So I went shopping the other day at Sam's and had to restock on my foods that I eat to help lower my blood pressure.

The one I mainly eat now at least 2-3 handfuls a day of is walnuts. They are high in omega-3 fatty acids which are good for the heart.

I eat these by themselves whenever I want a quick snack that fills me up since they are high in protein. I also add them to my cereal and oatmeal to keep me full.

Keeping the weight off is important to helping your blood pressure levels.



Then I got some frozen blueberries. These are one of the best super foods you can eat for your health. They are loaded with antioxidants which help get rid of free radicals that harm your body. I also add these to my oatmeal and cereal.



I eat tuna 2-3 times a week with just a tablespoon of Miracle Whip and a tablespoon of pickle relish. I either eat this with whole wheat bread or some whole wheat crackers.



I just bought this dark chocolate based on some articles I read that this can help lower your blood pressure. The recommended serving size on the bag is 4 pieces. That has 220 calories though! Recent research shows that one small piece - about 30 calories is enough to get the benefits on your blood pressure. So all you need is one half of one piece and you have your daily amount.

It tasted so good that I ate the whole piece. :o)

That's only about 70 calories. You can eat it after a meal to act as your dessert.



I eat 2 slices of turkey breast late at night when I want a 3 am snack. It only has 30 calories in each slice so it's not bad for you. It also has protein to curb your late night cravings.



And last but not least, Bear Naked Natural Granola. This granola has no high fructose corn syrup so it's low in calories from sugars. It also has flaxseed which also has omega 3 fatty acids which help lower your blood pressure. I usually combine this in a bowl with the blueberries and walnuts and add some low fat yogurt. It tastes good and it's good for you.



There you have it, the foods I eat to help lower my blood pressure. You can add some of these to help get your readings down naturally without relying on hypertension medications.

-Chris

No comments: